“That was just like a concert in Lagos,” said Geoff. That was the best compliment I could receive!
Christian Weyers, from x-Group Entertainment (that guy =>), called me up in March (2014) saying that he saw my photography on Behance (a social media website for creatives). He wanted to know if I would be interested in creating promotional images for a band he's managing. I asked for more information. He went on to educate me on the Afrobeat movement of the 60s and 70s, how it originated in Lagos, Nigeria and how the movement is surging again in the underground music scene. He then told me about a 17-member Afrobeat band he manages called Lagos Roots. At that point in the conversation, the only question that rifled through my brain was: When do I ever get the opportunity to photograph a 17-member, Afrobeat band? This was a new one for me. So, after working out some logistics, I jumped in my car and headed north to Oakland, CA.
The objective was to create a dance-hall-like environment, with the band playing for their fans. I wanted the imagery to feel like the concert was taking place somewhere tropical / exotic. The location Christian procured, American Steele Studios, in Oakland, CA definitely helped to create the vibe. Lighting, location and a little booze helped everyone turn my idea into reality. The shoot was a success, everyone was happy with the imagery. The best compliment came from Geoff, the band’s lead singer and Lagos, Nigeria native. Check out the images here
A big Thank you goes out to:
- Christian Weyers and Lagos Roots
- Dan Rappa | Photo Assist | email@example.com
- Geoff Mau | Photo Assist | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tietjen Fischer | Wardrobe | email@example.com
- Ashley Ludwin | Wardrobe Assist | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Veronica Sjoen | Hair & Makeup | email@example.com
- Melissa Helder | Hair & Makeup Assist | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Erika Taniguchi | Hair & Makeup | email@example.com
- Janet Mariscal | Hair & Makeup | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olga Pirmatova | Hair & Makeup Assist | email@example.com
- Nikki Kern | Talent - JE Models | Nikki@jemodel.com
Here are some images from the project: